Friday, August 27, 2010

How did Sci-Fi Trump my Comedy Week?

Yesterday I went to my local indie-video store and tried to rent independent feature films in the comedy genre, but ended up taking home 2 comedies/dramedies (Slacker & Bottle Rocket) and one sci-fy - Primer.  I'm looking for inspiration by watching other no-budget/low budget films.  I've already watched Primer twice in the last 24 hours, and while I don't want to make our first feature film a sci-fi flick, I do really appreciate all the geeks out there that make these kinds of movies. I loved Lost (until the ending - what a disappointment!), and enjoy a good Alien and Cloverfield type movie, as well as Battlestar Gallactica and Firefly.  So I probably should have known how much I'd love Primer.

So much so that I'm going to watch it 3 times in 24 hours by watching the movie with the Director's commentary tonight.  I'm seriously confused by the science & the plotlines which revolve around time travel and twists that die-hard fans pull apart in online forums that yes, I consulted today.  It only cost $7000 to make in 2004, which is about the budget we're working with.

I'm also keen to watch Bottle Rocket again today, but Jen just suggested "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" which I'm always up for.  Oh man, I love that "who pooped the bed?" episode.

We've been working on Jen's plot and characters for our first Elgin Road Production Company movie, which Jen says she will need a few weeks to really hash out.  Her kids return to school in 2 weeks (thank FRACK! I love my nieces & nephews more than the sun, but dang, they need to go to school so Jennie can write), but I'm really hoping that Jen manages to at least get the treatment done before September kicks off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment